Now showing: The 20th Century Native American Experience video

Capitol Art Gallery entrance

Capitol Art Gallery entrance

Before I returned from my trip to Tallahassee I knew I wanted to create a video of my exhibition: The 20th Century Native American Experience. I wanted to attempt to recreate the gallery experience for the viewer and to tell some of the stories behind the paintings in the show. Having twenty-five paintings in the show told me I couldn’t talk about every story, but at least I could create a flavor of the exhibition.

After I had my meeting with Representative Passidomo the final morning while I was in the 22nd floor Capitol Art Gallery; I started filming clips of the paintings in the show. I attempted talking with no script in front of me and had to stop and start numerous times to get what I thought was a good sound clip for each painting. I also hand held my camera throughout the video. Lessons learned: (1) Always have written scripts to work from and rehearse in advance. (2) Always use a tripod set up in front of each painting so that the camera doesn’t shake.

In my past life working for WGCU Public Media, I had learned a lot of movie making skills while creating underwriting spots for clients. When I sat down to try to edit the clips together, it proved to be too difficult for me to do. I contacted my friends Cecily and Larry Lancit of Paradise Coast TV and asked them if they would help me.  They reviewed my clips with me and decided that the images were too shaky and the audio needed an overhaul. I sat down and wrote out a whole new script and then gave them additional still images of the paintings in the show.

We set up a recording session in the Paradise Coast TV studio. Their assistant, Matt Romany, had me read my script on a teleprompter while Larry did the filming. Cecily oversaw the production. We had to redo some of the stories but overall we got the story down pat. After several weeks of editing in between other clients, we were ready to do a preview screening. We had to go back and correct some of the visual captions and work on transitioning the images from one scene to the next to make the story flow smoothly. It was finally done!

Now I am pleased to present the finished product. Many thanks to Larry, Cecily, and Matt for making this video happen.

You can see my video here: http://youtu.be/q9v9TW1u3Mo